Financial Status and annual Fall Grant Program:
The LCF’s financial status remains strong. In 2010, the LCF received nearly $90,000 in contributions; over $350,000 since the LCF started in November of 2007. The LCF endowment fund currently stands at just under $100,000. An important goal is to grow this fund to enable LCF to become self-sustaining and to be able to support larger projects and grants. Over the past three years the LCF has awarded $100,000 in grants, helping to achieve our mission as stated above. In 2010, LCF made grants of over $35,000, including $10,000 for the Basic Needs & Emergency Fund. This fund is administered by the Lyons Community Church and provides a helping hand to community members who need emergency funding.
The LCF also made grants in 2010 to the following community organizations and projects:
• Lyons Food Bank to maintain good nutrition for Lyons residents
• 9 Health Fair to provide access to testing and education
• Sounds of Lyons, annual and unique classical music festival
• Lyons Garden Club, to make Lyons more beautiful “one flower at a time”
• The Clarifier Project, to complete this unique public art project
• Lyons Elementary School program to promote a safe, caring, productive environment
• Lyons Golden Gang, to provide meals and outreach to Lyons’ senior citizens
• Lyons Historical Society, video history project
• Middle School Student Activists, exceptional young people making a difference
• Lyons Youth Baseball-Softball Association, providing scholarships for disadvantaged youth to play baseball
• Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, to save injured wildlife
• Lyons Arts & Humanities Council, public art on our award-winning Main Street
• The Lyons High School Band, uniforms for this popular extra-curricular program
• Scholarship Program: LCF sponsors a scholarship for a deserving high school senior who demonstrates three qualities: commitment to the Lyons community; a diverse range of interests; and a passion for the pursuit of learning. In 2010, the LCF Scholarship Fund in Memory of Steve Ralston was awarded to Jenna Paulsen who is currently attending the University of Colorado, Boulder.
In 2010 the LCF sponsored a variety of events throughout the community:
• The Valentine’s Day social in February drew over 100 interested community members.
• The annual Golf Tournament held on the third Wednesday of May each year had 15 businesses as hole sponsors and 40 players.
• The City Chicks Swap Meet in support of the LCF on Memorial Day was a big success.
• At the Centurion Bike Race in July, more than 50 LCF volunteers handled registration and the food tent.
• The Highway 36 adoption got our name “on the road” and helped to beautify the entrance to Lyons.
• And, of course, the fabulous November Gala and Grants Dinner—the event of the year in Lyons. Thanks to all of those who make this annual event a huge success.
LCF is grateful for our generous donor community. We are funded by gifts ranging from a few dollars to many thousands. In 2010, we announced our sustaining donors program, which includes levels of annual giving with a three-year (or longer) continuing commitment to support the Lyons Community Foundation.
These levels are:
• Mortar Supporter Any amount committed to annually less than $100.
• Red Sandstone $100 - $249
• Pink Stone $250 - $499
• Blue Top $500 - $999
• Blue Fern $1,000 – $4,999
• Blue Crown $5,000 and above
Finally, we want to recognize and thank everyone in the Lyons area who together makes this a wonderful community. A huge thank you to our donors, business, foundation, and organizational supporters. Only with your support is the LCF able to obtain its mission and provide grant money to so many worthy projects. We want to express our deepest appreciation to the innumerable volunteers who contribute their valuable time and energy. We especially want to thank our grant recipients, who convert our grants into worthwhile projects, without which, the positive changes in our community would not happen.
Again, thank you Lyons! You’ve been instrumental in LCF’s success. Please continue to support the LCF in 2011 with your generous contributions. You may contact any board member or call (720) 29LYONS if you are interested in volunteering or making a contribution. Contributions can be sent directly to P.O. Box 546, Lyons, CO 80540. Together, we are making a real difference in our community.
LCF Advisory Board 2011
Liz Erley **
Clark Hodge *
Monica McGuckin * **
* co-chair, ** new member in 2011